One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dessert consisting of a rough mixture of whipped cream, pieces of meringue, and fruit, typically strawberries.
- ‘I had a meringue sundae with chocolate sauce, a little like an Eton mess, but without the strawberries.’
- ‘Eton mess, which is said to have originated at Eton College in England, gives strawberries and whipped cream a textural twist by adding crumbled meringue.’
- ‘Dishes such as syllabub and one of my favourites, Eton mess, are making a comeback.’
- ‘Neither Vicky's rhubarb fool with a chewy biscuit nor my banana and chocolate Eton mess were unpleasant, but we probably wouldn't order either again.’
- ‘Eton Mess is a simply gorgeous summer dessert.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.