One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dessert consisting of a rough mixture of whipped cream, pieces of meringue, and fruit, typically strawberries.
- ‘Dishes such as syllabub and one of my favourites, Eton mess, are making a comeback.’
- ‘Eton mess, which is said to have originated at Eton College in England, gives strawberries and whipped cream a textural twist by adding crumbled meringue.’
- ‘I had a meringue sundae with chocolate sauce, a little like an Eton mess, but without the strawberries.’
- ‘Eton Mess is a simply gorgeous summer dessert.’
- ‘Neither Vicky's rhubarb fool with a chewy biscuit nor my banana and chocolate Eton mess were unpleasant, but we probably wouldn't order either again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.