Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flammable hydrocarbon gas of the alkene series, occurring in natural gas, coal gas, and crude oil and given off by ripening fruit. It is used in chemical synthesis, especially in the manufacture of polythene.
- ‘It has been demonstrated that ethylene is involved in this response.’
- ‘These observations confirm the importance of ethylene in initiating fruit ripening.’
- ‘The role of ethylene in fruit development and maturation has been intensively studied.’
- ‘The domestic demand for ethylene will also fall, which means the supply will be able to meet the demand.’
- ‘Different physiological stages of fruits were defined according to their ability to produce ethylene.’
- ‘It may be less well known that ethylene is also produced naturally by bacteria and fungi.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.