Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A flammable hydrocarbon gas of the alkene series, occurring in natural gas, coal gas, and crude oil and given off by ripening fruit. It is used in chemical synthesis, especially in the manufacture of polythene.→ ethene
- ‘The domestic demand for ethylene will also fall, which means the supply will be able to meet the demand.’
- ‘These observations confirm the importance of ethylene in initiating fruit ripening.’
- ‘It may be less well known that ethylene is also produced naturally by bacteria and fungi.’
- ‘Different physiological stages of fruits were defined according to their ability to produce ethylene.’
- ‘The role of ethylene in fruit development and maturation has been intensively studied.’
- ‘It has been demonstrated that ethylene is involved in this response.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.