One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own culture.
- ‘The best way to combat ethnocentrism is to encourage empathy at all levels of the firm.’
- ‘Unable to adjust to these disappointments, many missionaries returned home with their ethnocentrism intact.’
- ‘Rejecting the ethnocentrism characteristic of an earlier generation of anthropologists, Levi-Strauss refused to think of tribal cultures as primitive.’
- ‘Ethnocentrism is in reality a much more widespread phenomenon than racism.’
- ‘I cannot believe the amount of ethnocentrism that I have encountered in a nation renowned for its cultural diversity.’
- ‘European ethnocentrism is not, therefore, the sole culprit.’
- ‘The comments reveal an ethnocentrism in judging lower-class behavior using middle-class standards.’
- ‘Australia was settled by Europeans as Western ethnocentrism meshed with racial ideas.’
- ‘Her family background perhaps also helps to explain her interest in displaced and marginal people, her horror of nationalism and ethnocentrism.’
- ‘Goodbye ethnocentrism, greetings to the common world we diversely live in and attempt to make sense of.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.