One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own culture.
- ‘European ethnocentrism is not, therefore, the sole culprit.’
- ‘The best way to combat ethnocentrism is to encourage empathy at all levels of the firm.’
- ‘Unable to adjust to these disappointments, many missionaries returned home with their ethnocentrism intact.’
- ‘The comments reveal an ethnocentrism in judging lower-class behavior using middle-class standards.’
- ‘Ethnocentrism is in reality a much more widespread phenomenon than racism.’
- ‘Her family background perhaps also helps to explain her interest in displaced and marginal people, her horror of nationalism and ethnocentrism.’
- ‘Rejecting the ethnocentrism characteristic of an earlier generation of anthropologists, Levi-Strauss refused to think of tribal cultures as primitive.’
- ‘Australia was settled by Europeans as Western ethnocentrism meshed with racial ideas.’
- ‘Goodbye ethnocentrism, greetings to the common world we diversely live in and attempt to make sense of.’
- ‘I cannot believe the amount of ethnocentrism that I have encountered in a nation renowned for its cultural diversity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.