Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A community or population made up of people who share a common cultural background or descent.‘the largest of six ethnic groups inhabiting the area of northern Sumatra’
- ‘African Americans show a higher prevalence of hypertension than whites and other ethnic groups.’
- ‘The Balkan peninsula is inhabited by a multitude of ethnic groups.’
- ‘The two largest ethnic groups were Germans (10 million) and Hungarians (9 million).’
- ‘Members of the majority ethnic group trace their ancestral lineage through the maternal lines of families.’
- ‘In this context, it is worth recalling that members of all minority ethnic groups are under-represented among managers of large enterprises.’
- ‘They are the largest minority ethnic group in Scotland.’
- ‘Elaborate food service and symbolism are features of such events, but the content varies greatly in different ethnic groups.’
- ‘The small ethnic groups living along the coast are forced to keep their villages small due to lack of dry land.’
- ‘Bridgeport is different, though, in that the primary ethnic groups remained in the community and their lots improved over time.’
- ‘French is the official language, but there are as many languages as ethnic groups.’
- ‘The US is a diverse country with many ethnic groups, and with peoples of varying religious identities.’
- ‘This generalization once again conceals some significant differences among minority ethnic groups.’
- ‘Various ethnic groups throughout history have thought that elderberry had medicinal or even supernatural powers.’
- ‘In general, minority ethnic groups appear to be receiving more coverage in the regional press than was the case two years ago.’
- ‘The country has 55 officially recognized ethnic groups.’
- ‘He recognizes the commonalities among ethnic groups whose villages straddled national borders and who suffered in the backwash of war.’
- ‘Emigrant musicians from many different European ethnic groups made commercial recordings in their indigenous Old World styles.’
- ‘South Sulawesi is inhabited by four main ethnic groups: Bugis, Makassar, Mandar, and Toraja.’
- ‘One of the largest studies was the child and adolescent trial for cardiovascular health study, which randomised 4019 children representing many ethnic groups.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.