Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make (something) ethical.‘ethicizing the struggle’
pontificate, sermonize, philosophize, lecture, preachView synonyms
- ‘The very title of his book was indicative of its intent not to ethicize the problem, but to treat it in a broader context.’
- ‘It had at its disposal a critical vocabulary so ethicized that it could endow its whims of judgment with an air of total authority.’
- ‘The holy will has only desires that accord with the moral law, and, hence, in seeking this ideal or archetype, the human agent must ethicize his desires.’
- ‘Ruskin did not altogether fail to indicate how this concern to ethicize manufacture and exchange can go in an egalitarian direction.’
- ‘By naturalizing Ethics the school of Herbert Spencer reverses the idealizing process which rather ethicizes nature.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.