Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person addicted to the use of ether as a drug.
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘I have seen an etheromaniac at forty-one a wizened, bent, decrepit, and tottering old man.’
- ‘As a rule, an etheromaniac is never cured except by the impossibility of satisfying his passion.’
- ‘Etheromaniacs would get drunk quicker and sober up in a few minutes with no hangover.’
- ‘The habit spread across large sections of the population, and young women and priests were among the frequent etheromaniacs.’
- ‘It leads to insanity and death, and soon brings about marked changes in the temper and in the health of the etheromaniac.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.