Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person addicted to the use of ether as a drug.
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘It leads to insanity and death, and soon brings about marked changes in the temper and in the health of the etheromaniac.’
- ‘Etheromaniacs would get drunk quicker and sober up in a few minutes with no hangover.’
- ‘I have seen an etheromaniac at forty-one a wizened, bent, decrepit, and tottering old man.’
- ‘As a rule, an etheromaniac is never cured except by the impossibility of satisfying his passion.’
- ‘The habit spread across large sections of the population, and young women and priests were among the frequent etheromaniacs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.