One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- systematic chemical name for ethylene
- ‘For example reduction of ethanol gives the alkene ethene.’
- ‘For instance, addition of water to ethene creates ethyl alcohol.’
- ‘The alkene ethene can be produced by heating ethanol with (for example) aluminum oxide.’
- ‘Ethane and propane, as well as being fuels, are important precursors in the manufacture of ethene, which is then further converted to a range of products.’
- ‘Polymerization of ethene gives polythene (polyethylene).’
Mid 19th century: from ether + -ene.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.