Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- systematic chemical name for acetic acid
- ‘Ether can be oxidized by nitric acid to produce ethanoic acid.’
- ‘Two thirds of gluten protein is in the form of glutenins, which are insoluble in ethyl alcohol but soluble in a mixture of ethanoic acid, urea, and cetrimide.’
- ‘A solution of ethanoic acid is commonly used for this purpose.’
- ‘Further oxidation yields ethanoic acid (also called acetic acid), a carboxylic acid.’
- ‘It must be stressed that while all carbohydrates fit this formula not all organic compounds which fit this formula are carbohydrates, for example ethanoic acid is classified as an acid, not a carbohydrate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.