One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- systematic chemical name for acetic acid
- ‘Ether can be oxidized by nitric acid to produce ethanoic acid.’
- ‘Further oxidation yields ethanoic acid (also called acetic acid), a carboxylic acid.’
- ‘A solution of ethanoic acid is commonly used for this purpose.’
- ‘It must be stressed that while all carbohydrates fit this formula not all organic compounds which fit this formula are carbohydrates, for example ethanoic acid is classified as an acid, not a carbohydrate.’
- ‘Two thirds of gluten protein is in the form of glutenins, which are insoluble in ethyl alcohol but soluble in a mixture of ethanoic acid, urea, and cetrimide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.