Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An estimated time of arrival, in particular the time at which an aircraft or ship is expected to arrive at its destination.
A Basque separatist movement in Spain, founded in 1959.
Basque acronym, from Euzkadi ta Azkatasuna Basque homeland and liberty.
Edited to add (used in online discussions to indicate that one has modified the content of a post one has made, typically in order to add something):‘ETA: sorry, didn't see your post before I posted mine, @Abc!’
1The seventh letter of the Greek alphabet (Η, η), transliterated as ‘e’ or ‘ē’.
- ‘The squads had been organized into Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta and Theta.’
- ‘This complex contains eight different homologous subunits, alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, and theta.’
- 1.1Astronomy [followed by Latin genitive] The seventh star in a constellation:‘Eta Carinae’
- ‘The striking picture reveals an eclectic mix of embryonic stars living in the tattered neighborhood of one of the most famous massive stars in our Milky Way galaxy, Eta Carinae.’
- ‘This region, about 8000 light-years from Earth, is located near to the famous explosive variable star Eta Carinae, which lies just outside the field of view toward the upper right.’
- ‘Researchers using NASA's Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer satellite have made the first ever direct observation of Eta Carinae's companion star.’
- ‘On the night of 10 September 1784, the English astronomer Edward Pigott noticed variations in the brightness of Eta Aquilae, a star lying in the constellation Aquila.’
- ‘That galaxy is just a little more than one degree east of Eta Piscium.’
From Greek ēta.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.