One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A rule, method, or criterion for arriving at an estimate of the value of a parameter.
- ‘Conversely, cost estimators are based on averages or generalizations that do not take into account the individual management abilities of a farm.’
- ‘For huge amounts of input data, the maximum likelihood estimator cannot be evaluated.’
- ‘As discussed above, they both have shortcoming as estimators of reliability.’
- ‘In contrast, the likelihood estimator maintains a low standard error across the full range of conditions.’
- ‘For both types of nests, daily survival rates and standard errors were calculated using the maximum-likelihood estimator of Bart and Robson.’
- 1.1 A quantity used or evaluated as an estimate of the value of a parameter.
- ‘In tests for this paper, I found that some of the estimators became statistically significant after the Newey-West corrections were performed, while other estimators remained insignificant.’
- ‘It is also possible to use a similar approach to derive estimators for parameters that are relevant on the bulk sample scale, not the single-molecule scale.’
- ‘This is based on an analytical relationship between the expected value of the estimator and its real value.’
- ‘In this article, we define new population-specific parameters of population divergence and construct sample statistics that are estimators of these parameters.’
- 1.2 A person who estimates the price, value, number, quantity, or extent of something.
- ‘He explained that his work as chief estimator is different from that of junior estimator, to the extent that when he was a junior estimator the senior partners Emmons & Mitchell were watching his work closely.’
- ‘Just which initial choice an estimator makes depends to some extent on the type of estimate they are performing and the type of client they serve.’
- ‘While the estimator doesn't know the price of parts for my bike, and will let the shop determine that, he figures it'll be around $800 to fix everything.’
- ‘How can its estimators obtain pricing for the many items they are going to need?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.