One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mounted courier.‘an estafette was forwarded to the Lord Lieutenant, to inform him of the news’
messenger, special messenger, dispatch rider, letter carrier, mail carrier, runner, bearer, message bearer, message carrier, delivery man, delivery woman, conveyor, envoy, emissary, harbinger, heraldView synonyms
- ‘A mounted estafette stopped them on the railway line, telling them to return to Puits-Perdu.’
- ‘What, rob an estafette! I never heard of such folly.’
- ‘Even the estafettes who rushed Imperial correspondence from the seat of war back to Paris were given orders as to what they might and might not report along the way.’
- ‘While en route, Charles Todd commissioned him to act as estafette between the construction parties of the Overland Telegraph Line.’
- ‘The estafettes which ran between Naples and Marseilles during the reign of Joachim Murat performed the distance in five days.’
Early 17th century: French, from Italian staffetta, diminutive of staffa ‘stirrup’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.