One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brash, materialistic young woman of a type supposedly found in Essex or surrounding areas in the south-east of England.
- ‘She is a sardonic Essex girl with a sharp nose and a quick wit, sophisticated but essentially wholesome.’
- ‘Giraffe and Zebra are like two giddy Essex girls on a disco night-out pursued by predatory wide-boys Jaguar and Leopard.’
- ‘New British creatures appear from research surveys and style pages all the time: white van man, ladettes, Essex girls.’
- ‘On certain Greek islands you cannot move for Essex girls in foam-proof thongs gyrating to the Birdie Song.’
- ‘And I thought Essex girls were dumb!’
- ‘And in retrospect, Beverly was the first theatrical embodiment of an Essex Girl, a phenomenon that flowered more than a decade later.’
- ‘His female equivalent—Essex Girl—was the butt of jokes too obscene to be published here.’
- ‘She said today: "I saw David Beckham, who was being made an OBE, and introduced myself to him as an Essex girl!"’
- ‘She sashays into Weatherfield as a typical Essex girl—upfront, oozing confidence and with bags of glamour.’
- ‘He laughed and I said, 'You see you think I'm quite funny for a Essex girl don't you?'’
- ‘The Essex girl moves to New York in search of love and the music matches her changing moods as she moves between ecstasy and despair.’
- ‘How do you get an Essex girl's eyes to light up?’
- ‘Next time you're under the weather, just remember the case of the Essex girl who complained to her doctor of being hurt all over.’
- ‘All Essex girls love to dance.’
- ‘I'm an Essex girl and proud of it.’
- ‘What mattered to Essex girls was the kind of vehicle you drove.’
- ‘Essex's cultural identity may be multi-dimensional and diverse—not a cardboard cut-out of the Essex girl.’
- ‘An Essex girl goes to the council to register for child benefit.’
- ‘Essex is such a diverse region it is a bit unfair pick on one element and put the label of 'Essex girl' on every woman in the county.’
- ‘This club is full of cheap and ugly Essex girls trying to get free drinks at any chance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.