One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An entertainer specializing in freeing themselves from the confinement of such things as ropes, handcuffs, and chains.
- ‘The eldest son reinvents himself as Harry, after Harry Houdini, the famous escapologist, whose feats are recorded in a book he finds.’
- ‘Huge parades, athletics stars, circus acts, escapologists, food stalls, quick-fire raffles, musicians, and wood choppers were some of the attractions that helped the event back up its bold branding.’
- ‘‘Our clients will be able to enjoy comedy, magicians, contortionists, escapologists and music,’ he said.’
- ‘At the age of 17 he met the great escapologist Harry Houdini.’
- ‘Now a new film based on the life of Harry Houdini is set to tell the fictional tale of how the escapologist fell in love with an Edinburgh woman.’
- ‘Illusionist and escapologist Shahid Malik broke free from a straitjacket while suspended upside down from a burning rope.’
- ‘Houdini was a publicity-wise escapologist and illusionist who made his name and a good deal of money in America.’
- ‘On graduation, he worked as a publican's assistant, a police frogman and an escapologist.’
- ‘Fire-eaters, escapologists and stilt walkers will all be on hand to provide entertainment.’
- ‘A further highlight will be escapologist, Paul Sanderson, dangling from a crane in a strait-jacket.’
- ‘The escapologist will put up a thousand good reasons to get into a regulation canvas straitjacket and escape within 90 seconds.’
- ‘American escapologist Robert Gallup gave a preview performance of his skills to local media last Friday.’
- ‘Among the myths exposed along the way is the idea that Houdini, great escapologist though he was, could do magic.’
- ‘Harry Houdini is known as the world's greatest escapologist, but he fostered a reputation for invulnerability that proved to be fatal.’
- ‘Harry Houdini was such a great escapologist that even his friends, such as Arthur Conan Doyle, believed he must have had supernatural help.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.