One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lowest velocity which a body must have in order to escape the gravitational attraction of a particular planet or other object.
- ‘The underlying concept is simple: the launcher accelerates the capsule to escape velocity.’
- ‘If the object slows down below a minimum orbital velocity, it will hit the planet; if it speeds up beyond a maximum escape velocity, it will move away from the planet permanently.’
- ‘What would happen if the escape velocity of a planet were greater than the speed of light?’
- ‘The work presented in these two papers formed the basis for a later study of black holes, showing that bodies of sufficiently large mass would have an escape velocity exceeding the speed of light and so could not be seen.’
- ‘Both NASA and the Russian Space Agency were still playing around with chemical rockets, trying to beat the seventeen-thousand mile an hour escape velocity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.