One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Excessive sexual desire.
- ‘Thus, it's easier to sort for little things like erotomania, or a pathological inability to communicate.’
- ‘These herbs may not offer a direct or long lasting solution, but rather they may help in cases of transient "erotomania".’
- ‘Changes in sexual behavior, though uncommon, have been seen in patients with epilepsy, including hypersexuality, pansexuality, erotomania, sexual paranoia, exhibitionism, and fetishism.’
- ‘I mean, I don't have to worry about the kinds of tricky situations that erotomania would lead me into, and I don't have to fear the damage that kleptomania or pyromania might cause me to inflict.’
- ‘The creation of art could either serve as a ‘cure’ for erotomania or lead to madness or suicide.’
- 1.1Psychiatry A delusion in which a person (typically a woman) believes that another person (typically of higher social status) is in love with them.
- ‘The 43-year-old cleaner, who suffers from a condition known as De Cleranbault's Syndrome - also known as erotomania - believed Father Jonathan Hart was in love with her.’
- ‘A woman masquerades as a doctor, but is stalking a male staff member as part of a delusion of erotomania.’
- ‘Then, overwhelmed with erotomania, she showers him with emails, attaching naked pictures of herself.’’
- ‘Houran's studies indicate that the most deeply obsessed also show signs of erotomania, the delusion of having a love affair with an unattainable or uninterested person.’
- ‘In the run-up to her death psychiatrists deemed she suffered from a condition known as erotomania in which people believe others to be in love with them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.