Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compound present in some kinds of ergot. An alkaloid, it causes constriction of blood vessels and is used in the treatment of migraine.
- ‘Oral preparations combining ergotamine and caffeine are available, as are rectal suppositories.’
- ‘A combination of verapamil and ergotamine may be considered.’
- ‘Of course his diuretic would probably now be furosemide and his ergotamine tartrate today might be sumatriptan.’
- ‘Using vasoconstrictors such as ergotamine and the triptans in the presence of focal ischaemia is a theoretical concern.’
- ‘The medication ergotamine and related drugs can halt a migraine in progress.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.