Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A compound present in some kinds of ergot. An alkaloid, it causes constriction of blood vessels and is used in the treatment of migraine.
- ‘Using vasoconstrictors such as ergotamine and the triptans in the presence of focal ischaemia is a theoretical concern.’
- ‘The medication ergotamine and related drugs can halt a migraine in progress.’
- ‘Oral preparations combining ergotamine and caffeine are available, as are rectal suppositories.’
- ‘Of course his diuretic would probably now be furosemide and his ergotamine tartrate today might be sumatriptan.’
- ‘A combination of verapamil and ergotamine may be considered.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.