Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus which measures work or energy expended during a period of physical exercise.‘the subject's anaerobic power was determined by having them pedal a bicycle ergometer’
- ‘To stabilize gas measurements, patients were asked to remain still on the ergometer for 3 min before exercising.’
- ‘The new index was not affected by the site of testing, the ergometer, and the system used for measuring gas exchange.’
- ‘The primary outcome variable was improvement in exercise capacity, measured in watts on a cycle ergometer.’
- ‘Finally, we measured cardiopulmonary function during maximal exercise on a cycle ergometer.’
- ‘The patients exercised on cycle ergometers for 45 minutes, 3 times a week for 7 weeks, at high-intensity targets while receiving 3 liters per minute of either oxygen or compressed air.’
- ‘Half the group were given a bicycle ergometer and the other half were equipped with the units.’
- ‘The first stage of the training sessions was continuous endurance training on a bicycle ergometer.’
- ‘The endurance exercise component of rehabilitation emphasizes exercise on both the treadmill and the cycle ergometer, and with adequate oxygen saturation via supplemental oxygen.’
- ‘Forty men from the Indian army were administered maximal exercise on a bicycle ergometer in a graded work load protocol.’
- ‘The second test consisted of exercising for 20 minutes on a cycle ergometer.’
- ‘He has swapped ergometers for knot-tying and oars for ropes.’
- ‘I keep it up, trying to emulate Muller's technique, using the ergometer's monitor to guide me.’
- ‘At-rest measurements were made with subjects seated on the bicycle ergometer in the same position as during exercise.’
- ‘Two boys and two girls aged 12 to 14 years old each raced 1000 meters on the ergometer with their final time averaged to get the team's result.’
- ‘Comparing results at identical levels of exercise on a cycle ergometer provides an effort-independent measure of physiologic training responses.’
- ‘Another demonstrated an increase in average power output on a cycle ergometer during repeated 10 second sprints.’
- ‘A bicycle ergometer was used to exercise the subjects.’
- ‘The bicycle ergometer was set at a minimal tension level and had a built-in measure of distance that was calibrated for accuracy.’
- ‘Get cranking on an arm ergometer or use a rowing machine with a palms-up grip, O'Connor suggests.’
- ‘Participating rowing clubs and health clubs nationwide will provide free access to ergometers and/or boats, as well as instruction on technique.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.