One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural erven, Plural erfsSouth African
A plot of land.
piece of ground, patch, area, location, parcel, tract, allotment, acreageView synonyms
- ‘In Namibia reckless individuals occupy erven in residential areas in cities, towns and villages to conduct their unwanted business.’
- ‘This is one of three erven in that area that are considered suitable for township development, and therefore very valuable.’
- ‘He explained that if a property lies within a business or residential area it does not mean an erf in that zone is zoned as such, nor does it mean that it can be zoned accordingly.’
- ‘Plots and erven are in demand and the budget for the fiscal year of 2002/2003 provides that more than 300 residential plots be planned and proclaimed in the town.’
- ‘The price of waste removal ranges from R21,60 for an erf of 300m², to R70,65 for an erf larger than 2 000m².’
Dutch, originally in the sense ‘inheritance’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.