One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of soft rubber or plastic used to rub out something written.
- ‘I have dim recollection of this back to school ritual: binders, pens, pencils, erasers, and paper.’
- ‘Martin slapped both on the table and rushed off to buy pencil sharpeners and erasers.’
- ‘Synthetic rubber erasers are vulcanized (cooked under pressure) to cure the rubber, but vinyl erasers skip this part.’
- ‘It might be a good idea to frisk people for calculators, rubber erasers, and other harmful things.’
- ‘Pencils, erasers, small plastic figurines, and other nonedible items make good trick-or-treat prizes.’
- ‘I wrote how pencils were long in September, and erasers were full.’
- ‘A high school drop out, Mano's passion for odd things can be traced to his school days when as an eight year old he amused his friends by inserting chalk pieces and erasers into his nostril and pulling them out through his mouth.’
- ‘It was very tiny, about the size of a pencil eraser sliced in a tiny piece.’
- ‘Some of the items, like erasers and pencil sharpeners, shaped and coloured like fruits and vegetables, were much in demand.’
- ‘My English notebook, along with pencils, pens, erasers and binder paper became airborne.’
- ‘The long, unsharpened pencils with no bite marks, multi-colored pens, and clean erasers somehow held the promise of achievements to come…’
- ‘Remove the paper from the eraser; the ink will have transferred to the rubber eraser.’
- ‘Coins, marbles, safety pins, buttons, crayon pieces, erasers, paper wads, rocks, and beads are also risks.’
- ‘Just fill all of the baskets with plastic spiders and erasers and combs and put them on every shelf with a different ticket value.’
- ‘UNICEF has also distributed books, blackboards, pencils, erasers, pens, watercolor paint sets as well as volleyballs, skipping ropes, drums and football kits, she said.’
- ‘These would have prevented goods clearly compatible with military use from entering the country, but would have allowed civilian necessities like medicine and pencil erasers into Iraq.’
- ‘Tuna sashimi is ‘the pale pink of pencil erasers, and the texture of whipped cream’.’
- ‘More than 200 backpacks filled with paper, pencils, pens, erasers, calculators and other necessities were given to the children.’
- ‘Each bag contained a pencil, an eraser, a ruler, notebooks, a water bottle and torchlight.’
- ‘Greene provides a clear, lengthy preface describing how to prepare ten strings of the grand piano with rubber erasers and wood screws.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.