One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The skill or sport of horse riding. As an Olympic sport it is divided into three categories: showjumping, dressage, and three-day eventing (combining showjumping, dressage, and cross-country riding).
- ‘What it referred to was a rumour that has been flying around the divided and sometimes poisonous world of Irish equestrianism.’
- ‘The other sports are athletics, canoeing, cycling, equestrianism, gymnastics, judo, triathlon, sailing and swimming.’
- ‘But it was in the sports of rowing, cycling, sailing and equestrianism that the foundations were laid.’
- ‘Racing and equestrianism are the only professional worldwide sports in which men and women compete against each other on an equal basis.’
- ‘The implementation group set up to formulate a structure for an umbrella body for equestrianism has ‘agreed, in principle, to proceed with the establishment of the body’.’
- ‘The only Olympic sport where the two sexes compete together is equestrianism so it is not surprising it is taking a long time.’
- ‘The Minister congratulated Cian on his wonderful achievement in bringing home the individual showjumping gold medal, Ireland's first medal in equestrianism in the history of the Games.’
- ‘Indeed, equestrianism is a multi-million pound industry which plays an important role in the rural economy and tourism.’
- ‘The British Horse Society welcomes recognition at national level of the value of equestrianism to the rural economy, and the proposed help for farmers who want to diversify.’
- ‘Olympic fans have come to expect controversy and scandal, but the genteel world of equestrianism had managed to keep its head well above water.’
- ‘Mr McGourty said there is recognition now that equestrianism is no longer the sport of kings and that it can be an important alternative enterprise in agriculture.’
- ‘Visitors were treated to displays of equestrianism, ranging from show-jumping to a Shetland Pony Grand National, livestock, pole-climbing and even terrier racing.’
- ‘How many of his peer group would admit to an interest in equestrianism before they got into football?’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.