Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of, at, or near the equator.‘equatorial regions’
tropical, hot, torrid, swelteringhumid, sultry, steamy, sticky, oppressivejungle-likeView synonyms
- ‘This map shows the concentration of water vapour close to the soil around the equatorial region of Mars.’
- ‘Of these poor and disenfranchised, the majority live a marginal existence in equatorial climates.’
- ‘Chambers are subspherical to incipiently squat, in some cases bulging slightly in their equatorial regions.’
- ‘Physical Rwanda occupies a mountainous region where the equatorial climate is modified by the altitude.’
- ‘Low-lying plains sprawl across half the equatorial region in the shape of a scorpion.’
- ‘The climate is equatorial with a mean annual rainfall of 1200 mm and a mean annual temperature of 25°C.’
- ‘There are two dry seasons and two rainy seasons, but the equatorial climate is very hot and humid year-round.’
- ‘The climate is equatorial with high temperatures, high humidity, and heavy rainfall, although there is no distinct wet season.’
- ‘The island has an equatorial climate, with little variation in temperature throughout the year.’
- ‘The rivalry between the European colonial powers in Africa reached a peak in these unclaimed and unexplored regions of the equatorial belt.’
- ‘The warm water and air masses move eastward across the equatorial region, until they reach the west coast of the Americas.’
- ‘The climate was equatorial, with little annual fluctuation in day length or temperature.’
- ‘These are all in circular prograde orbits near Neptune's equatorial plane, and they probably formed in place.’
- ‘With its equatorial climate, Bushara Island is truly ideal.’
- ‘The mountain spans five climate zones from the equatorial to the arctic.’
- ‘The area has an equatorial climate that is very cool and wet, with thick evergreen forests surrounding the tea farms.’
- ‘Hydrogen in lesser concentrations also was detected in the equatorial regions.’
- ‘Although most of the world was dry, climate stratification allowed a narrow equatorial tropical belt to develop.’
- ‘It is a rich, green environment that provides a year-round equatorial climate.’
- ‘This was clearly the intent of its designers, since the equatorial and polar regions are of particular interest.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.