One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The fifth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ε, ε), transliterated as ‘e’.
- 1.1as modifier Denoting the fifth in a series of items, categories, etc.‘epsilon and gamma globins diverged about 100 million years ago’
- 1.2Astronomy followed by Latin genitive The fifth star in a constellation.‘Epsilon Carinae’
- ‘The University of Texas team found a planet similar in size to Jupiter about 10.5 light years away from Earth orbiting the star Epsilon Eridani, a star very similar to the sun.’
- ‘The most likely destinations are the stars closest to Earth, such as Alpha Centauri and Proxima Centauri, Tau Ceti, and Epsilon Eridani.’
- ‘This had just begun with Frank Drake's brief microwave observation of Epsilon Eridani and Tau-Ceti back in 1960 - Project Ozma.’
- ‘The star Epsilon Eridani, 10 light years from Earth, was then found to have exactly the disc clumps predicted by the computer models.’
- ‘It's a satellite base that they plan to put in orbit around Epsilon Draconis.’
- 1.1as modifier Denoting the fifth in a series of items, categories, etc.
Greek, ‘bare or simple E’, from psilos ‘bare’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.