One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A creeping plant of a genus which includes barrenwort.
Genus Epimedium, family Berberidaceae
- ‘Good companion plants include heuchera, heucherella, tiarella, epimedium, and pulmonaria.’
- ‘Pretty geraniums and epimediums provide ground cover and the outer path is sheltered with a seven-metre tall pergola.’
- ‘Cut away the old foliage of Lenten lilies and epimediums so that you can see the flowers properly before the new leaves are produced.’
- ‘For specific cortisol control, the most effective supplements include a variety of plant extracts, such as magnolia bark, epimedium, theanine, beta-sitosterol and phosphatidylserine.’
- ‘The contrast of their foliage with that of ferns, astilbe, solomon seal and epimedium further enhances the woodland surroundings.’
Modern Latin, from Greek epimēdion.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.