Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or arising from non-genetic influences on gene expression.‘epigenetic carcinogens’
- ‘There are epigenetic influences at work (changes in inheritance by means other than changing DNA sequence,) and we're just barely starting to understand them.’
- ‘Such variations might arise from minor genetic differences or by epigenetic influences causing induction, enhancement or inhibition of repair enzyme synthesis or activity.’
- ‘Hence, we investigated molecular genetic and epigenetic events in oral carcinogenesis.’
- ‘The embryo is human, since it has the genetic constitution and epigenetic primordia characteristic of human beings.’
- ‘However, backcrossing is a gradual procedure that, apart from being lengthy, cannot ascertain that genetic and epigenetic changes will modify the original nuclear genotype.’
- 1.1 Relating to or of the nature of epigenesis.
Formed later than the surrounding or underlying rock formation.
- ‘Ores formed at the same time as their host rocks are referred to as syngenetic; ores formed after the host rock are called epigenetic.’
- ‘The metamorphic rocks along the northwest margin of the Reading Prong, as well as the adjacent Paleozoic carbonates, contain epigenetic minerals deposited predominantly in open spaces.’
- ‘Thus, the ore minerals form after the host rock and are called epigenetic.’
- ‘More recent studies suggest an epigenetic origin, indicating that sulphide-rich iron formation is a replacement type rather than a primary sedimentary facies.’
- ‘A number of different theories are postulated for the formation of the copper deposits, but all generally agree that the deposits are epigenetic and that the ore-bearing solutions were hydrothermal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.