One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory, now generally held, that an embryo develops progressively from an undifferentiated egg cell.Often contrasted with preformation
- ‘He did not assume that an inert and common matter was sufficient for a plausible formulation of a theory of mechanical epigenesis.’
- ‘But while the wholesale conversion to epigenesis put an end to fictitious accounts of miniature organisms, it brought biologists face to face once again with the old question of how the egg gave rise to a fully formed organism.’
- ‘The contrary view to epigenesis, namely that the embryo was preformed from the beginning, was championed anew in the late 17th century.’
- ‘Chapter 5 introduces their role in development, concluding that epigenesis is really, really complicated.’
- ‘In epigenesis, the developing organism begins in an undifferentiated state and gradually changes to a more complex state through multiple interactions.’
Mid 17th century: from epi- ‘in addition’ + genesis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.