One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An order of insects that comprises the mayflies.
- ‘We further included four representatives of the Zygoptera, one representative of the Epiophlebiidae, and one representative of the Ephemeroptera of the family Ephemeridae as outgroup taxa.’
- 1.1ephemeroptera Insects of the order Ephemeroptera; mayflies.‘various species of ephemeroptera’
- ‘The Ephemeroptera are among the most primitive of flying insects.’
- ‘In 1994, zooplankton still dominated diets in August, whereas macroinvertebrates, mainly small chironomids and small Ephemeroptera, were dominant prey in August 1995 and 1996.’
- ‘Stomach contents were examined with a dissecting microscope; [greater than] 99% of the enumerated prey were diptera larvae, ephemeroptera larvae, copepods, cladocera, and cyprinid fish.’
- ‘There are more than 40 species of Ephemeroptera, or ‘upwinged flies,’ in the British Isles.’
- ‘Every species of ephemeroptera may be distinguished by its genitalia.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Ephemera (genus name) + pteron ‘wing’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.