One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen shrub of warm arid regions which has trailing or climbing stems and tiny scale-like leaves.
Family Ephedraceae and genus Ephedra
- ‘But ephedra also increases heart rate, which can cause heart rhythm problems.’
- ‘In fact, a study in a major medical journal has shown that more than 75 percent of the side effects coming from herbs are from ephedra.’
- ‘Most of ephedra's activity stems from the ephedrine component, which produces amphetamine-like actions.’
- ‘I keep reading that the herb ephedra can be dangerous for the heart.’
- ‘There's some ephedra waiting, in a flavor of your choice.’
- ‘The ephedra plant, from which the precursor of methamphetamine is made, grows wild in northern China.’
- ‘The Ephedra equisetina contains the most ephedra, whereas the Ephedra nevadensis and Ephedra trifurca lack the alkaloid.’
- ‘For instance, consider ephedra, an herb found in many supplements and muscle enhancement products.’
- ‘Other studies comparing ephedra with placebo or herbs containing caffeine yielded similar results.’
- ‘In Ayurvedic medicine - the same ancient science that gave us ephedra - garlic is recommended for weight loss.’
- ‘But some featured other herbs containing ephedrine, the active ingredient in the herb ephedra.’
- ‘The herb ephedra has been removed from many over-the-counter natural diet aids.’
- ‘And if weight-loss drugs are so great, why does she warn us later in the book about the dangers of the herb ephedra?’
- ‘Is the ephedra / caffeine mix leading to a pound of fat loss each week, or is it the diet?’
- ‘The drug contains 18 herbal ingredients, including ephedra, an herb that has been linked to dozens of fatalities.’
- ‘She had been taking a weight-loss product containing caffeine and the herb ephedra on-and-off for three years.’
- ‘Part of this tarnishing comes from the controversy surrounding an herb called ephedra.’
- ‘The vegetation is a mix of grasses, annual herbs and isolated patches of mesquite, cholla, ephedra and yucca.’
- ‘After ephedra vanished, the market experienced a lull in effective fat-burners.’
- ‘If ephedra was involved, the supplement may have allowed him to push past his limit without him realizing it, because it is an energy booster.’
Modern Latin: from Latin, ‘equisetum’ (a plant that ephedra resembles), from Greek.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.