Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of biochemistry concerned with enzymes.
- ‘Several excellent recent reviews cover different aspects of the biochemistry and enzymology of glycine decarboxylation and its relation to plant metabolism.’
- ‘It's a property known as ‘promiscuity’, one that's being increasingly recognized as important in enzymology and enzyme evolution.’
- ‘Nonaqueous enzymology is nowadays an active area of work, having matured to a point where, besides its large implications in basic protein science, it has an important impact in biotechnology, from where grew its roots.’
- ‘A notable exception is the study of nonaqueous enzymology.’
- ‘Our technical approach combines proprietary advances in synthetic chemistry, surface chemistry, molecular biology, enzymology, array technology and optics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.