One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a disease) regularly affecting animals in a particular district or at a particular season.‘enzootic hepatitis’
- ‘State and local agencies should identify vector species and breeding sites, and implement aggressive surveillance and targeted control early in the transmission season to restrict enzootic viral amplification.’
- ‘Although we can do little to limit the spread of enzootic flaviviruses, we can minimise the number of human cases.’
- ‘For the U.S. population as a whole, no such immunization is recommended, but it may be considered in animal workers and travelers to enzootic areas who anticipate animal exposure.’
- ‘It occurs most frequently as an epizootic or enzootic disease of herbivores that acquire spores from direct contact with contaminated soil.’
- ‘During 2000 and 2001, West Nile virus spread rapidly through the South and Midwest, establishing enzootic activity in 28 states.’
Late 19th century: from en- ‘within’ + Greek zōion ‘animal’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.