One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) an area officially designated as containing landscapes or wildlife that would be threatened by unrestricted development.
- ‘The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs says the establishment of an Environmentally Sensitive Area on the marshes in 1993 has safeguarded wildlife.’
- ‘The Environmentally Sensitive Areas scheme introduced in 1987 aims to provide broader habitat protection within designated areas.’
- ‘The 36-acre field was already under protection as an Environmentally Sensitive Area and it was difficult for him to keep the grass cut to the designated height.’
- ‘As a result every acre on the farm, that supports not only prize-winning Swaledales, but also about 35 suckler cows, is either in an Environmentally Sensitive Area or is managed through Defra's Countryside Stewardship scheme.’
- ‘The moor forms part of a Site of Special Scientific Interest and an international Special Protection Area, in addition to being part of the North Peak Environmentally Sensitive Area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.