Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not harmful to the environment.‘cycling is an environmentally friendly form of transport’
- ‘They have promoted shopping in an environmentally friendly manner.’
- ‘The Taipei County Government has ambitious plans to transform riverbanks in the county into environmentally friendly leisure areas.’
- ‘Laois has a long tradition in producing high quality assured produce from environmentally friendly production systems.’
- ‘The developers are trying to design housing that lends itself to environmentally friendly living, without too much inconvenience.’
- ‘Based on screw technology, the continuous ship unloader has a totally enclosed conveying line for environmentally friendly operation.’
- ‘Hydraulic fluids account for about 75 % of the demand for environmentally friendly lubricants, Carnes reports.’
- ‘Green councillors want a more environmentally friendly approach to street lighting in Bradford.’
- ‘A more environmentally friendly car tire has been investigated by Dutch researchers.’
- ‘These may provide the basis for new, environmentally friendly pesticides.’
- ‘The Government has signed a memorandum of understanding with Alcoa to build a low-emission, environmentally friendly plant at Chatham.’
- ‘The southern area, the current location of Chongming's downtown, will be developed into environmentally friendly residential areas.’
- ‘They can be customised to varying degrees of technical specifications to suit more complex or environmentally friendly tastes.’
- ‘Victor recently returned from volunteering in Costa Rica, pitching in to help farmers switch to environmentally friendly, shade-grown coffee.’
- ‘The rooves are made of temperate hardwood which is widely believed to be more environmentally friendly than tropical (rainforest) hardwood.’
- ‘Europe's airplane engine manufacturers are now pooling their resources to make flying more environmentally friendly.’
- ‘Passengers have clamoured to ride free around the inner city loop on this environmentally friendly vehicle.’
- ‘Let's take a look at some of the specific attributes that make brick an environmentally friendly building choice.’
- ‘The city could become the first in Yorkshire to revert to timber frames, which some scientists claim are more environmentally-friendly.’
- ‘Probably the biggest change in 20 years is the strong move toward gardening in more environmentally friendly ways.’
- ‘Palmer followed Whitman by pointing out the steps that the golf industry has taken to become more environmentally friendly over the years.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.