One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A door or corridor at the entrance to a building.
- ‘I took a step back and cleared the entranceway before asking, ‘Would you like to come in?’’
- ‘Again, it happened in the entranceway of the school, according to investigators.’
- ‘Unless you have a full home office with a separate entranceway, holding an interview in your home may conflict with the image that you want to project.’
- ‘Mother was standing in the entranceway in a designer dress.’
- ‘They turned their heads to look around and when they had turned their heads back to the entranceway they had entered from they saw the man standing there with three boxes under his arms.’
- ‘They walked a short distance to the entranceway.’
- ‘Little kids play hopscotch on the floor tiles, babies swat at the fish in the aquarium in the entranceway, and all kinds of folks swarm about hoping for a taste of the old country.’
- ‘There was a crystal chandelier in the entranceway.’
- ‘She stood in the parlor entranceway with her vigilant eyes fixed on them, her foot tapping impatiently against the hardwood floor.’
- ‘She noticed with some annoyance that anyone standing in the entranceway, set back under the building a few meters as it was, would be dry.’
- ‘Its rococo entranceway was lined with larger-than-life busts of his children, which had been painted in life-like colors.’
- ‘The second woman walked out to the far edge of the entranceway, out of the cover of the doorway.’
- ‘Much of the work in 2004 has been concentrated at the northern end, around what seems to have been an entranceway to a substantial series of defensive banks and ditches.’
- ‘All cab drivers are now asked to use the new entranceway opposite the Secondary School and exit through the old entrance, thus avoiding the previous traffic jams.’
- ‘I met him in the entranceway and pulled up the hood.’
- ‘He stuck his head through the entranceway and listened.’
- ‘Heading into the entranceway of the Boar's Snout, the three men navigated through the intoxicated crowd with a sleek agility.’
- ‘In New York, a wall-size photographic installation in the entranceway to the show invoked this constellation of characters.’
- ‘Don't you wish - as I dearly do - that this were written in stone above the formal entranceway to our federal Department of Education?’
- ‘Chaos reigned in the main entranceway as police officers swarmed into the building.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.