Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a plant or flower) pollinated by insects.
- ‘Orchids are generally entomophilous and rarely ornithophilous.’
- ‘Two forms of pollen viability are apparent in entomophilous species.’
- ‘A similar pattern can be observed in Sorbus aucuparia, another entomophilous tree species, where a recent colonization of a plateau in Belgium yielded only a small loss of genetic diversity.’
- ‘Thus, the aim of this paper is to describe, for the first time, the secretion and chemical composition of nectar in a presumed entomophilous species of Maxillaria and to compare this with data previously obtained for M. coccinea.’
- ‘It has been described as a predominantly entomophilous species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.