One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soil of an order comprising mineral soils that have not yet differentiated into distinct horizons.
- ‘In this paper, nearly 700 in situ fossil trees are described from 13 entisol or inceptisol horizons.’
- ‘These include sand and gravel deposits which are poorly vegetated, sandy entisols which support marshes and bottomland hardwood forests, and mollisols with scattered Bur oaks with prairie grasses and forbs.’
- ‘These palaeosols would be classified as entisols and inceptisols using modern soil taxonomy nomenclature, soils typical of very immature fluvial exposure surfaces.’
- ‘Significantly, palaeosols that bear the larger more widely spaced trees are generally slightly more mature than those that bear smaller and more densely distributed trees (entisols).’
- ‘This ecosystem has low productivity and is found on acidic, nutrient poor, droughty and well-drained sandy entisols.’
Mid 20th century: from entire + -sol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.