One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Put (grass or another crop) into a silo or silage clamp in order to preserve it as silage.‘the grass was ensiled with sugar beet plus an inoculant’
- ‘High nitrate levels persist when forages are cut for hay, but ensiling the crop reduces nitrates by one-half.’
- ‘A preservative is then applied and the grain is ensiled in a polythene-lined clamp.’
- ‘They like to harvest at 40-65 percent moisture, and they wrap the bales in stretch plastic for ensiling.’
- ‘They found that although red clover and alfalfa have similar protein levels, the protein in red clover does not degrade during ensiling nearly as dramatically as the protein in alfalfa.’
- ‘The value of the crop for cattle feed if grazed, hayed or ensiled depends on yield, the price of alternative forages, and cost of utilization as forage.’
- ‘Various approaches to ensiling crops have been developed, but many systems are expensive and are not suitable for emergency conditions or the small producer.’
- ‘Pits can be opened 10-15 days after ensiling but the silage will be unstable, as fermentation will not be completed.’
- ‘Directly ensiled grass can produce peak effluent flows of up to 30 litres per tonne per day for the first few days after ensiling.’
- ‘I intend to ensile my thoughts here as the spirit moves…’
- ‘When heavy infestations of corn smut occur, grain yields can be so severely decreased that the most viable economic alternative may be to harvest and ensile the crop.’
- ‘Observing the development of the corn kernel milkline can provide a guide as to when corn is at the proper dry matter content for ensiling.’
- ‘Initial costs for this system are minimal, and storage costs are less than ensiling in concrete bunker silos or bagging silage.’
- ‘About 50 million wet tons of alfalfa are ensiled annually in the United States, and 30-50 percent of this tonnage is inoculated at a cost of about $1 per ton.’
- ‘The fungus might also affect ensiling indirectly by producing fractures in the cell walls and cuticle of the plant, thus giving fermenting bacteria a greater access to the forage.’
- ‘Eric Hanbidge says that tanks and drains should be inspected hourly after ensiling until effluent release from ensiled grass has stopped.’
- ‘For example, an increase of 3 tonnes per acre, going from 9 tonnes to 12 tonnes per acre, reduces the cost per tonne ensiled by about €5 per tonne.’
- ‘Sugar concentrations will be reduced by wetness on the crop - thus, once these crops dry out they are most likely to be relatively easy to preserve provided they can be ensiled properly.’
- ‘The grain was crimped and ensiled and will be fed to the herd through a total mixed ration system.’
- ‘Direct chopping and ensiling this wet corn can cause heavy seepage and a sour silage.’
- ‘Alfalfa-grass mixtures cure more rapidly and ensile more easily than pure alfalfa.’
Late 19th century: from French ensiler, from Spanish ensilar, from en- ‘in’ + silo ‘silo’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.