One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1formal Dress in a robe or vestment.
dress oneself, dress, get dressed, attire oneselfView synonyms
- ‘There were two beings, a woman and a man, enrobed in velvety clad that draped their long, thin bodies.’
2Coat (an item of food) in chocolate, a sauce, etc.
- ‘When she asked what it was, I responded ‘Homemade marshmallows, roasted peanuts and cocoa nibs enrobed in dark chocolate’, a dark mood crossed her face.’
- ‘Mounds of crispy slivered almonds enrobed in dark chocolate.’
- ‘I've enrobed coffee beans, pretzels, honeycomb, prunes… you name it, I've dipped it.’
- ‘For example, the Fortune Cookie ice cream includes bits of fortune cookies enrobed with chocolate.’
- ‘It's an almond kernel housed within a date and enrobed in Middle Eastern chocolate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.