One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fascinated; enthralled.‘the enrapt audience’
attentive, absorbed, engrossed, fascinated, enthralled, rapt, focused, earnest, concentrated, concentrating, intense, studious, fixed, steady, steadfast, occupied, preoccupied, wrapped up, alert, watchful, observantView synonyms
- ‘In his concerts abroad he held his aristocratic, cultivated audiences enrapt as he wove his piano improvisations.’
- ‘He is, you can sense, enrapt by the task in hand.’
- ‘He paused, watching his enrapt audience with approval before he spoke three simple words, ‘Shall we begin?’’
- ‘It's so hard to tell though: I read an abridged version at seven, was enrapt by the television series at eight, read the full version at sixteen, reread it at twenty one.’
- ‘Her lifelong friend seems enrapt in whatever Nicholas' wife is saying, looking away from the woman only when she gets up to leave, apparently for the restroom area.’
- ‘I am continually recharged by its richness and its depths - ensnared in its layers of beauty and layers of emotion and layers of meaning - enrapt by its language.’
- ‘They watched, enrapt, as two videos of the accused being interviewed by detectives while in custody was shown to the jury of seven women and five men for the first time.’
- ‘So much happens in the space of a page that a story by him can hold an enrapt reader with attention deficit disorder.’
- ‘‘I'm not kidding,’ he says earnestly to his enrapt audience.’
- ‘Ellie was enrapt through my entire explanation, with a glossy look to her eyes as if I was her favorite soap opera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.