One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the armed forces below the rank of officer.
private soldier, common soldierView synonyms
- ‘Two U.S. Army enlisted men manning an experimental radar system spotted the incoming aircraft and called air defense headquarters twice.’
- ‘A similar kind of fracturing could emerge within the U.S. Army if enlisted men and their officers spend most of their careers on a single base.’
- ‘Most of its members were reserve officers or enlisted men.’
- ‘Thus most of the company commanders, and many battalion commanders, were former enlisted men.’
- ‘He began as an enlisted man in an anti-tank gun crew with the German 132d Infantry Division as it moved across southern Russia.’
- ‘Standard military protocol required enlisted men to come to attention when the commanding officer arrived on deck.’
- ‘We, the initial troops, had nothing to move into, and within days, more and more enlisted men and officers would be coming in to assume their duties.’
- ‘This commitment extended to his officers and enlisted men, each of whom he individually interviewed before accepting them in the submarine service.’
- ‘The army spokesman says it is standard procedure for military police to question only the enlisted men and officers involved.’
- ‘Some 300 officers and enlisted men were serving in these historical units when the war ended in 1945.’
- ‘Corporal John Henry Shelly was the gunner and ranking enlisted man on the tank.’
- ‘He was an ordinary kind of guy who was drafted into the Army as an enlisted man and ended the war as a major.’
- ‘When I was there, he only talked to the enlisted men and NCOs. No officers.’
- ‘For an officer to apologize to an enlisted man in public was unheard of, and the soldiers must have discussed the incident at length in the barracks.’
- ‘In 1994, it had 503,800 officers and enlisted men on active duty.’
- ‘It was originally composed of approximately 600 acres with housing for 108 officers and 330 enlisted men.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.