Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Charming and attractive.‘an engaging smile’
charming, appealing, attractive, pretty, delightful, lovely, pleasing, pleasant, agreeable, likeable, lovable, sweet, winning, winsome, fetching, dazzling, arresting, captivating, enchanting, bewitching, alluring, irresistible, dreamy, heavenly, divine, gorgeousbonnysmashingtakingcomely, fairView synonyms
- ‘He is a highly talented DJ, has a most pleasant and engaging voice, and would be a great loss to the radio station.’
- ‘His engaging personality, pretty face and impressive physique make him the envy of all the other models.’
- ‘What interventions can be made at an architectural level to make our city a more engaging place to live?’
- ‘I hadn't noticed it beforehand, but the way his face lifted when he beamed highlighted the engaging way his smile was the slightest bit crooked.’
- ‘Ade is a handsome 16-year-old in New York City with a warm, engaging smile.’
- ‘Michelle immediately responded to his engaging personality and smiled in returned.’
- ‘He was an engaging character who delighted in good company and was a good man to tell a story.’
- ‘She smiled her most secretive and engaging smile and said nothing.’
- ‘The paintings Cormac selected for view at the Garter Lane Centre comprise an engaging mix of land, sea and urban scapes alongside an array of still lives.’
- ‘He must have been a very engaging speaker, a charming man.’
- ‘From everything I know, she is an engaging, likeable person, but she certainly isn't coming off as much of a team player.’
- ‘Even though he had impeccable manners and an engaging smile, and also a ton of money, she knew he wasn't for her.’
- ‘It is as visually appealing as its story is engaging and imaginative.’
- ‘I look at his engaging smile and listen to his loud laugh and kiss his soft little cheeks and I wonder.’
- ‘Good looking, polo-playing and sporty, he appeared to have an eye for a pretty face and an engaging shyness that endeared him to many and helped him become one of the most sought after bachelors in the world.’
- ‘She has an engaging smile, she is discrete, and she is strong.’
- ‘Never did she fail to warmly greet people with her engaging smile and lively chat.’
- ‘They realize the engaging city offers them a home and a lifestyle like most of them have never experienced.’
- ‘One of the most interesting houses in Mayfair, an engaging contrast to its neighbours, with a starry host of former occupants.’
- ‘Valery is a cheerful person with roguish brown eyes and an engaging smile.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.