One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ring traditionally given by a man to a woman when they agree to marry.
- ‘He says the couple visited a jewellers and chose an engagement ring.’
- ‘Later he proposed that they be married and gave her an engagement ring.’
- ‘It was the most special place I could think of, to give you your engagement ring.’
- ‘My diamond engagement ring sparkled in the sunlight shining in from the outside.’
- ‘I beamed and hastily, but gently, slipped on the engagement ring onto her ring finger.’
- ‘She looked down at her beautiful engagement ring and smiled, knowing that she was loved.’
- ‘The rings were my aunt's original wedding ring, her engagement ring and her eternity ring.’
- ‘She was also wearing an engagement ring and has a silver thumb ring on her left hand.’
- ‘He flew to England in the summer of 2001 with an engagement ring he had specially made and she agreed to marry him.’
- ‘Men paid for the bride's engagement ring and wedding band, even shopping alone for the item.’
- ‘When we arrived in London, I had a beautiful sapphire ring as my engagement ring on my finger.’
- ‘Her engagement ring glittered on her ring finger, a symbol of the promise she'd made.’
- ‘Many women also wear their gold wedding ring with a diamond engagement ring and an eternity ring.’
- ‘He was thinking of maybe getting her an engagement ring when he heard someone approach him from behind.’
- ‘I moved closer, and saw it was the engagement ring I'd given her only a month previous.’
- ‘Little did she realise he had indeed taken her away specifically to propose, but the engagement ring he had chosen for her, had not arrived.’
- ‘She told me that when David found the right girl and they got engaged she would have that diamond made into an engagement ring for her.’
- ‘Ms Aston told former colleagues some weeks ago that she was engaged to be married to Dr Boyle, and showed them a diamond engagement ring.’
- ‘She was wearing a number of rings including an engagement ring.’
- ‘When he brought the jewel back home, he had it fashioned as an engagement ring.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.