Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A notification to remedy a breach of planning legislation.
- ‘On the 22nd March 1996 the Local Planning Authority issued an enforcement notice alleging breach of condition.’
- ‘He appeared before the magistrates where he admitted breaching a planning enforcement notice related to his building contractor's yard near his home.’
- ‘The local planning authority served an enforcement notice on them requiring them to remove the soil and to demolish the wall.’
- ‘In brief, the enforcement notice concerned four former agricultural buildings, including two Dutch barns or similar, grouped around a yard.’
- ‘He pleaded not guilty to breaching an enforcement notice issued by council planners.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.