Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The act of compelling observance of or compliance with a law, rule, or obligation.‘the strict enforcement of environmental regulations’
imposition, implementation, application, carrying out, administration, administering, discharge, fulfilment, execution, prosecution, pursuanceforcing, compelling, exacting, extorting, extortion, demanding, requiringView synonyms
- ‘There is a lack of strong legal institutions so legal enforcement is minimal.’
- ‘Effective enforcement would be a must for any new parking strategy, says the Civic Society.’
- ‘There's been virtually no enforcement of the bus lanes since they were introduced a few years ago.’
- ‘The dialogue between pub communities will be of huge help to police enforcement of any banning orders.’
- ‘For laws to work, however, effective enforcement and sanctions must be in place.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.