Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animal that is dependent on or capable of the internal generation of heat.
- ‘Extant birds are accomplished endotherms and many maintain the highest body temperatures.’
- ‘They are endotherms and they can finely tune the thermal, water, and chemical balance of their bodies from minute to minute.’
- ‘For example, display and assessment of potential mates may be less costly for endotherms at higher temperatures than at lower temperatures.’
- ‘However, the problem is severe for an endotherm, particularly a small endotherm, which must maintain a steady internal temperature and has a considerably greater demand for respiratory oxygen.’
- ‘Differential expression of seasonal energetic adaptations generates a continuum in the trophic status of endotherms during winter.’
1940s: from endo- ‘within’, on the pattern of homeotherm.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.