Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of hormones secreted within the brain and nervous system and having a number of physiological functions. They are peptides which activate the body's opiate receptors, causing an analgesic effect.
- ‘It is well established that exercise improves mood, thanks to the powerful effect of chemical endorphins on the brain.’
- ‘Doing so will help your body produce endorphins, feel-good brain chemicals that can counter feelings of stress.’
- ‘This procedure is said to release detoxification by causing the release of endorphins, the body's pain killers.’
- ‘Physical activity is known to influence the physiological production of endorphins in the brain that also elevate mood.’
- ‘Exercise, too, can give you a real high and has been shown to have a profound effect on people who are depressed, possibly by releasing endorphins in the brain.’
1970s: blend of endogenous and morphine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.