Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A network of membranous tubules within the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell, continuous with the nuclear membrane. It usually has ribosomes attached and is involved in protein and lipid synthesis.
- ‘Elongation and unsaturation of fatty acids occurs in both the mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum (microsomal membranes).’
- ‘Slower-mobility products result from improper processing in the endoplasmic reticulum, which is likely the result of misfolding.’
- ‘However, the contributions of other membrane compartments, such as the plasma membrane, vacuoles, and endoplasmic reticulum, have not been investigated.’
- ‘Many tumor cells contained scattered cytoplasmic particles consistent with glycogen, mitochondria, and rough endoplasmic reticulum.’
- ‘It is also present in smaller amounts in the membranes of the mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum within the cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.