Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The taking in of matter by a living cell by invagination of its membrane to form a vacuole.
- ‘We checked all of the mutants for phenotypes that might indicate defects in endocytosis by other cell types.’
- ‘During endocytosis, the cell membrane on which the toxin sits gradually encircles the protein complex in an acidic sac or endosome.’
- ‘They undergo rapid endocytosis at higher substrate concentration.’
- ‘It has also been employed to analyze these reactions and to study toxin endocytosis in live cells.’
- ‘In secretory cells membrane trafficking, specifically endocytosis, is inhibited at low pH.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.