Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting glands which secrete hormones or other products directly into the blood.‘the endocrine system’
- ‘Some are hormones, secreted by endocrine glands, and circulating in the blood, which leave through capillary walls to gain access to tissue fluids around their target cells.’
- ‘It was first isolated from the endocrine gland in the body which has primary responsibility for holding calcium levels in your blood within a very tight range.’
- ‘The foundations of the endocrine system are the hormones and glands.’
- ‘Once a hormone is secreted, it travels from the endocrine gland through the bloodstream to the cells designed to receive its message.’
- ‘In addition, hormones from endocrine glands enter and leave the vascular system through regionally specialized capillaries.’
Early 20th century: from endo- ‘within’ + Greek krinein sift.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.