One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A note printed at the end of a book or section of a book.
- ‘Unfortunately, even where a study or claim is noted, the majority of the references in the endnotes section are in Norwegian and untranslated.’
- ‘In fact, fully half of the book's pages are devoted to endnotes, although these seem to include references to every book and article she came across during her research.’
- ‘Considerations of space have in some cases required me to shorten endnotes, remove textual notes, and delete illustrations.’
- ‘McManus wrote extensive footnotes and endnotes while preparing the book.’
- ‘This manifests itself most obviously in the absence of footnotes or endnotes, making the book subject to the usual advantages and disadvantages of this form of presentation.’
- ‘Footnotes and endnotes contain either explanations, citations or both.’
- ‘Many readers, like this reviewer, will stumble on the fact that there are endnotes only at quite a late stage in reading the book.’
- ‘Those who want to do additional research will find an index and detailed bibliography, but no footnotes or endnotes.’
- ‘I should say that I highly prefer footnotes to endnotes, unless the chapter or book is very short.’
- ‘I decided while reading the first 200 pages to check endnotes and citations.’
- ‘There are 24 pages of densely packed endnotes in small print.’
- ‘The endnotes of the book should be very useful for the earnest scholar.’
- ‘Please use endnotes rather than footnotes for documentation and ensure there are no embedded notes or figures within the document.’
- ‘This clearly written and solidly researched work would have been enhanced by footnotes or more extensive endnotes.’
- ‘The book includes 185 pages of text and 35 pages of endnotes, so that the notes are available for the reader, but do not intrude on the text.’
- ‘I would have preferred to see some endnotes or footnotes and a subject index as well.’
- ‘The commentary has footnotes throughout and the endnotes provide useful references for further study.’
- ‘The letters are presented in chronological order with accompanying annotations coming within endnotes.’
- ‘Endnotes containing an extensive resource list of books and articles are included.’
- ‘Third, an 11 page section of endnotes is included to explain abbreviations or items in the text that require further clarification.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.