Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The final stage of a game such as chess or bridge, when few pieces or cards remain.‘the game was adjourned after 41 moves in a rook and pawn endgame’figurative ‘Clinton went into the 1992 endgame with a lead in more states than Carter in 1976’
- ‘It is relatively easy to draw Rook and pawn endgames; easiest to lose King and pawn endgames.’
- ‘Instead, it's a fascinating look at just how complex and beautiful King and pawn endgames can get.’
- ‘The second section, covering 150 pages, provides detailed annotations of 61 complete games and 10 endgames.’
- ‘It's true that five piece endgames are now played perfectly by computers.’
- ‘This problem teaches you a lot about king and pawn endgames.’
- ‘You still have to learn about all the other things that players study: openings, endgames, pawn structures, planning, lots of tactical patterns, etc.’
- ‘Even its considerable section of exercises from master games sticks closely to the basic endgames he discusses.’
- ‘We are conditioned to put the King into the thick of the action in an endgame.’
- ‘Almasi played passively and Ivanchuk edged into a better endgame with one pawn up.’
- ‘Here, however, you will find more coverage of endgames with more pieces and pawns.’
- ‘With the rise in use of exchange sacrifices, rook versus minor piece endgames are becoming more common, and there are key defensive techniques that a player must know.’
- ‘Many of the greatest masters have recommended that chess should be studied from the endgame.’
- ‘There are a great many Rook and pawn endgames, reflecting their common occurrence in tournament practice.’
- ‘And like any prolonged negotiation in its final stages, the endgame has turned into a real tussle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.