One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make (a foreigner) a citizen of a particular place; naturalize.
grant citizenship to, make a citizen, endow with the rights of citizenship, confer citizenship on, give a passport to, enfranchiseView synonyms
- ‘No author, excepting Pope, has done so much to endenizen the eminent poets of antiquity.’
- ‘Only a dozen or so Jewish residents of New York ever managed to become endenizened in England.’
- ‘Andrew Alvarez Noguera was endenizened in England in 1679.’
- ‘I shall get them either naturalized or endenizened by the Queen.’
- ‘There is no evidence that any Muslim was ever naturalized or endenizened in England in the seventeenth or the eighteenth century.’
Late16th century: from en- + denizen.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.